Hiking in Colombia, Lost City Trek, 8 Days, Hike, Colombia
Travel back 1,000 years to the Lost City of the Sierra Nevada in this Hiking in Colombia tour. Soak in the sights & the sounds of the untouched jungle & meet the locals as you travel to a remote corner of Colombia.
Hiking in Colombia
An unforgettable Hiking in Colombia through lush jungles, crossing rivers and meeting locals in the small villages along the way. Then to be rewarded by reaching the Lost City in the lush green Colombian Jungle.
This Lost City Trek Colombia tour is run in a sustainable way by recruiting locals, adopting Leave No Trace standards and providing 10% of the cost to local entrepreneurs through micro-credit.
It´s suitable for most general fitness levels. If you´re not sure, join it and create unforgettable memories to cherish.
Day 1: Arrive to Bogotá
Day 2: City tour of Bogotá
Day 3: Fly to Santa Marta and hike to Camp 1
Day 4: Hike to Camp 2
Day 5: Hike to Camp 3
Day 6: Hike to the Lost City and return to Camp 2
Day 7: Complete trek and head to Santa Marta
Day 8: Return to Bogotá Airport (BOG) by 1pm and conclude expedition
You are responsible only for personal clothing and gear listed below. We’ll take care of everything else. A gear check will be completed before you depart for the trail. This list does not include additional clothing/items you may want for travel or for your time off the trail. Any luggage not needed on the trail can be left in storage during your expedition.
Packing System: This expedition does not include porters. You are responsible for carrying all of your personal gear in your own pack.
Documents and Logistics
- International flights booked and confirmed to Bogotá, Colombia.
- Flight information submitted
- Passport valid for 6 months upon arrival
- Medical insurance card
- Cash for tipping guides, buying souvenirs, incidental costs, etc.
- Change of clothes for Bogotá/Santa Marta – to be kept in storage during expedition
- Synthetic shorts (zip-away pants are a great option)
- Rain Jacket
- Synthetic long underwear or fleece top
- Synthetic T-shirt (2-3)
- Waterproof hiking boots
- Nylon-wool blend socks (3)
- Water sandals (for river crossings walking around the camp in the evening)
- Synthetic pants for evenings and bug protection
- Water bottles – 2
- Quick-dry towel
- Personal toiletries and medicine (basic showers are available on trail)
- Sleeping bag liner (blankets are available for cooler nights)
- Backpack cover
- Insect repellent (long sleeves also provide protection)
- Toilet paper in ziplock bag
- Ditty Bag and extra ziplock bags for toilet paper waste on the trail
- Reading material for the trail
- Hand sanitizer or wet wipes
- Collapsible hiking poles
- Hotel reservations for extended time in Bogotá (if applicable)
- Zip-lock bags for waterproofing passport and other valuables
Colombia is one of the most diverse countries when it comes to climate. Ranging in elevation from sea level to nearly 19,000 ft, the weather can change quickly depending on where you go. On the Hidden Colombia Expedition, you will be doing the Lost City Trek, which is located in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta region.
The weather in this region is warm and wet year-round. It is the jungle! With the average highs in the upper 80s, having streams to jump into periodically will be a nice treat to cool you off during your trek. The lows in the evening tend to stay in the upper 60s, which is why a warm sleeping bag is not needed for this expedition.
HIDDEN COLOMBIA REVIEWS
- Medical/evacuation insurance for all participants confirmed 30 days or more prior to their expedition start date
- Airport transfers
- RT flight from Bogotá to Santa Marta
- 2 nights accommodation in Bogotá
- 1 night accommodation in Santa Marta
- 4 nights camping
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the trek
- Trekking permits and entry fees
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Guide & porter services
- All ground transportation to/from trail
- Personal items (laundry, clothing, snacks, etc.)
- Trip cancellation insurance (offered as an option)
- International airfare and meals during travel
- Snacks during trek
- Beverages outside of designated meals
Activity Level: Challenging
These expeditions require that you are at the least at an average fitness level. These are great first treks and a perfect fit for people looking for a challenge without daily exhaustion. Typical days range from 3-6 hours of trekking.